How Does Obalon® Work?
The ultimate goal of the Obalon system is to help you lose weight via a non-surgical procedure paired with a healthy diet and exercise. With 3 lightweight balloons that are placed gradually over 3 months, the space in your stomach will become smaller and help you to eat less and lose weight faster.
How Are the Balloons Inserted?
After consulting with your doctor at South Florida Center for Weight Loss Balloons you’ll set up your appointment to have the balloons inserted. The process itself will take less than 10 minutes per balloon (with 3 typically being inserted) and does not require any sedation at all. In fact, it’s as easy as swallowing a small capsule that has a deflated balloon inside, attached to a small catheter. Your doctor will then inflate the balloon, starting the journey to weight loss!
How Are the Balloons Removed?
After a period of 6 months, or whenever you and your doctor decide to have the Obalon balloons removed, you will go in for an appointment that will last about 15 minutes. This will be an outpatient procedure accompanied by light sedation, but you will be conscious during the appointment. Through an endoscopic procedure, your doctor will deflate and remove the balloons.
How Do I Know if I’m a Candidate?
You are not a candidate for the Obalon procedure if any of the following apply to you:
- You have problems swallowing the capsule.
- You take prescription aspirin, anti-inflammatory agents, anticoagulants, or any other gastric irritants daily.
- You’ve had prior GI surgeries that may have caused a narrowing or blockage.
- You have ever had other weight loss surgeries, excluding other balloons.
- You have an untreated Helicobacter pylori infection.
- You have been diagnosed with an eating disorder, or have a diet that includes high calorie liquids.
- You have any stomach disorders such as gastroparesis, gastritis, hiatal hernia (>2cm), cancer, etc.
- You have a history of IBS, Crohn’s disease, etc.
- You are pregnant or nursing.
- You have untreated or unstable alcohol or illicit drug addiction.
Are There Any Side Effects?
Serious side effects have been less than 0.3% of patients via clinical trials. However, there are some adverse reactions such as heartburn that may be evident throughout the duration of your procedure. It’s important to consult with your doctor to understand these.
Contact the doctors at South Florida Center for Weight Loss Balloons today by calling (954) 893-9222, or requesting an appointment online!